Friday, March 12, 2010

If At First You Don't Succeed

I've decided to train for a triathlon. Yes, I've lost my mind. Daddums doesn't seem to think I can do it, which hurt my feelings a bit. I'm running my first 5k two weeks from tomorrow. I'm shooting to run one a month in addition to longer runs. I don't have a bike yet, but hopefully I'll have one by the middle of April. Until then, I'm going to take 2-3 spin classes a week just to get myself used to cycling. Will's dad was a competitive cyclist and he was hooked on spin classes, so it has to be fairly legit as a form of training. I need to figure out the Y's pool schedule for lap swim. Looking at it makes absolutely no sense. I'll just talk to a person and determine when the best times are to swim. I joined Beginner Triathlete and they have some training plans for every level.

I'm considering joining Team in Training as well. I've been going back and forth with one of the women in the office and I'll probably do the Nation's Triathlon in DC in September. It's an Olympic distance which is a .9 mile swim (1.5 k), 25 mile bike ride (40 k), and 6.2 mile run (10 k). A sprint would probably be better for my first one, but the shortest one they're doing for the fall is Olympic. I'm planning on running in a 5 or 10 k every month for the next 3 months. I may even try and get a number for the Peachtree if I post a good time in one of the other races. The fundraising part of TNT intimidates me a bit, but I think I can do it. I really wanted to do the Rock & Roll half marathon in Seattle in June with them, but I don't think I could raise the funds in time. If I went on my own, it would be about $1500 for the flight, hotel, entry fee, and whatnot. A more feasible option would be the Biltmore 5k in May. I can drive up there, get a good deal on a hotel from HotWire, and get to see the estate.

So that's where I am right now. I've been lazy this week because life got in the way, but I'll be back in full swing tomorrow. I'm gonna try and make a spin class tomorrow morning, then dance, then who knows? Gotta start somewhere if I'm gonna pull off this crazy goal.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cherie!

    Good luck in training for you first triathlon. I do hope that you do The Nation's Triathlon. It is a great race. I have featured several blogs on The Nation's Tri Official Facebook page and should you decide to sign up, I would love to feature yours! I like to feature unique and inspiring stories. Here is the fan page:
    http://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon?ref=ts

    Good luck with training!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete